Accepting Credit Cards for Payment
All campus departments must receive written approval from the Campus Credit Card Coordinator to accept and process credit cards for payments prior to signing any agreements for credit card services and/or equipment purchases.
This requirement is in accordance to UC BUS-49 policy, Section VI, Page 10.
The campus department must adhere to the following requirements when seeking approval:
- Prepare a business case including a cost/benefit analysis.
- Comply with Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI:DSS).
- Meet BUS-49 policy, Section XIII, Page 31 and UC Berkeley Procurement Policy for contracts and agreements.
- Transact through centrally supported payment gateways.
The Credit Card Coordinator will review departmental needs and recommend the most efficient and cost effective method available to process transactions for events, dining, tickets, merchandise and fees. The Coordinator can assist with:
- Identifying card acceptance/payment solutions
- Complying to PCI Data Security Standards
- Conducting vendor due diligence
- Meeting acquirer/processor setup requirements
- Deploying best practices
- Conducting training
The following grid provides various options for credit card payment solutions:
|Credit Card Payment Solutions||Customer Interactions||For Consideration:|
|Swipe Point of Sale (POS) Terminal||
|POS System – Inventory Management, Dynamic Reporting, Multiple Points of Sale.||
|Online – Hosted Order Page (HOP) to Approved Payment Gateway||
|Online – Centrally Supported Third Party Vendor User Interface (UI) through Centrally Supported Payment Gateway||
|Online – Non-Centrally Supported Third Party Vendor||
For Information and Assistance, contact the Credit Card Coordinator at MerchantSupport@berkeley.edu.