American Recovery & Reinvestment Act (ARRA)
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (i.e. the "economic stimulus package") was signed into law on February 17, 2009. The Act allocates $21.5 billion for research, providing funding for a broad array of opportunities. Funds received from ARRA require special tracking and reporting as a condition of the award.
This website will be your resource for information about ARRA reporting. Check here for new guidelines and tools as UC Berkeley continues to develop processes and procedures to assist Principal Investigators and Research Administrators in meeting these federal reporting requirements.
ARRA Recipient Reporting Requirements
All awards funded by ARRA require awardees to submit quarterly reports for all awards received. Quarterly reports are due no later than 10 calendar days after each calendar quarter ends.
|Quarter Ending||Department Review and Input Period||Federal Reporting Deadline|
|September 30||September 25 – October 5||October 10|
|December 31||December 15 – January 5||January 10|
|March 31||March 25 – April 5||April 10|
|June 30||June 25 – July 5||July 10|
ARRA funds require unprecedented new levels of transparency and accountability. Reports and information for projects funded by the Recovery Act will be published for public viewing on the Recovery.gov website within 30 days after the end of each quarter.
What ARRA Data Must Be Provided by Departments/PIs?
UC Berkeley has developed a web-based portal to facilitate the compilation and submission of ARRA quarterly reports. Most of the required information will be pulled directly from existing campus systems – COEUS and BAIRS. However, there are six data fields that will require input from the department:
- Award description *
- Quarterly activities
- Project completion status
- Number of jobs created and jobs retained
- Description of the jobs created and jobs retained
- Description of the product/service for vendor payments over $25k *
* The Award Description and the Vendor Description will be retained and carried forward to the next quarterly report.
When Is ARRA Data Posted from Central Campus Systems?
- ARRA award data from COEUS is updated daily Monday through Friday, at the end of each day.
- ARRA financial data from BAIRS is updated twice a month, on the morning of the 1st and the 16th.
- All ARRA reporting is cumulative. Therefore, any financial data posted after the last cutoff date, including payroll, will be included in the cumulative ARRA reporting totals for the following quarter.
What are the Consequences for Not Reporting?
The Recovery Act stipulates repercussions for not following the reporting requirements, including:
- Termination of awards
- Return of funds to the sponsor, both on an individual and institutional level
- Debarment from receiving future funds, both on an individual and institutional level
- Increased risk of Federal audit