Direct Voucher Form Instructions
The types of costs that can be processed as a direct (non-purchase order) voucher is limited. For a complete list, see Direct Voucher Cost Types and Required Supporting Documents.
To pay a vendor using direct voucher, complete and submit the Direct Voucher Form and required supporting documents to the Disbursements Mailroom for imaging and processing in BFS.
- two invoice line descriptions with full chartstrings, the first with 2 distribution lines and the second with a single distribution line.
- one invoice line description with 10 distribution lines showing SpeedChart and account
- If you have a vendor invoice, enter the actual vendor invoice number (up to 17 characters).You may enter fewer than 17 characters if the actual invoice number has less than 17 characters.
- If you do not have a vendor invoice, enter a unique invoice number,
beginning with DV and followed by up to 15 alphanumeric
characters. To assure that the number is unique for the campus and Vendor
Number, the following format is recommended:
DV + date (yymmdd) + up to 9 characters from vendor name. Examples:
- If you have a vendor invoice, enter the actual invoice date.
- If you do not have a vendor invoice, enter the date you are preparing the Direct Voucher Form.
BFS Vendor Number and Vendor Name
- Enter the payee's 10-digit Vendor Number and Vendor Name from BFS 9 (not BFS 8.8).
- For Wire Transfer Requests only, select the type of currency to use for payment (defaults to US Dollars). Checks and Electronic Fund Transfers are always paid in US Dollars.
- If the required currency is not available in the dropdown list, choose OTHER and specify the currency type in the Payment Details field at the bottom of the form.
Total Payment Due to Vendor
- Enter the total payment due to the vendor for this invoice number and date. This amount should be the same as the total for the Invoice Lines Description as well as the total for the Distribution Lines.
Invoice Lines Description
- Enter line item descriptions for the payment. Examples:
- Human subject fee
- Honorarium (Non-employee)
- Maximum field length is 20 characters.
- The first Invoice Lines Description will print on current BAIRS reports. New BAIRS reports are being developed to include all Invoice Lines Descriptions.
Invoice Lines Amount
- Indicate the amount for each Invoice Line Description. The total will be automatically calculated.
- Each Invoice Line Description must have at least one (and may have
more) corresponding distribution line. For each distribution line, enter
the corresponding Invoice Lines Description number and EITHER SpeedChart
and account OR the full chartstring:
- Business Unit
- ChartField1 (optional)
- ChartField2 (optional)
- Note that the DeptID on Distribution Line #1 determines the Worklist to which the Direct Voucher will be routed for approval.
- If you need more lines than initially appear on the form, click the Add a Distribution Line button to add more distribution lines to the form.
- To delete a distribution line, click the X in the first column of the line.
Distribution Lines Amount
- Enter the amount for each distribution line. The total will be automatically calculated.
- This description will print on the check or EFT remittance advice.
- If check is to be held for pick-up, enter the name and phone number of the person to be contacted when the check is available.
- Otherwise, enter a description of the payment that will be meaningful to the payee. Be as specific as possible (e.g., use "supplies/books" rather than "reimbursement").
- Maximum field length is 70 characters.
Special Handling Instructions
- Check this box if documents are to be mailed to the payee along with the check (attachments will not be sent for EFT payments).
- Hold Check for Pick-up
- Check this box if check is to be held for pick up. Use 'Payment Message' field to indicate name and phone number of person to be called when check is ready.
- Indicate first and last name, e-mail address, and telephone number of the person completing the form.
For Campus Department Use (optional)
- Payment details
- Provide additional information regarding the payment if needed. This information does not print on the remittance advice and is for department use.
- Approval Signature
- May be used for the appropriate approval signatures. Departments should determine whether approval on this form is required based on the corresponding policy for the cost type and departmental procedures and requirements.
- Original signatures required; do not use initials or signature stamps.
- Approval Date
- Enter the date the form was approved.
- Printed Name and Title of Approver
- Provide printed name and title of approver.
Submit Form and Documentation
- Send the form and supporting documentation for imaging and subsequent
30 University Hall, MC 1101
- See Direct Voucher Cost Types and Required Supporting Documents.