FMCP Curriculum and Courses
The Financial Management Certificate Program is currently not accepting new applications. We are assessing the program to determine what changes are necessary to meet the challenges that will face financial managers in the evolving university organization.
The Financial Management Certificate Program combines classroom, case study, and online learning. Participants must satisfactorily complete the following to receive a certificate:
- Six core and three elective classroom courses (courses will use case studies drawn from the UCB campus experience to enhance the learning process).
- A series of online courses (Read these important technical requirements).
- Online components covering selected course material; and
- A midterm case study (this requirement is a group effort by three cohort members collectively analyzing a case study, answering a specific set of questions, and making a 30 minute presentation on the case issues and group decisions to a review committee). The midterm is designed to help participants prepare for the final examination. More information can be found in the FAQ section.
- A final examination (this requirement is a timed, individual effort, taken in a computer lab on PC's utilizing Microsoft Word and Excel). The final tests concepts learned in the required courses (the six core courses and the on-line courses). More information can be found in the FAQ section.
Each course will be offered two to three times a year. Participants must take the Ethics course and the Risk/Controls course before attending the other courses. Participants are strongly encouraged to take the core courses as a member of a group or “cohort.”
Curriculum for the Certificate in Financial Management
Core Business Courses (all courses required)
- Core 1 – Ethics, Accountability and Delegations of Authority
- Core 2 – Assessing Risks/Designing Controls**
- Core 3 – External Forces at Work
- Core 4 – Policies — Doing Things Right
- Core 5 – Exploring Contracting Issues
- Core 6 – Financial Management at UC Berkeley**
Electives (3 courses required)
- Elective 1 – Gift Acceptance, Acknowledgements and Administration
- Elective 2 – Insurance/Litigation Issues
- Elective 3 – Recharge & Revenue Fund Management
- Elective 4 – Developing and Analyzing Business Plans/Cases
- Elective 5 – Managing the Academic Department Budget
- Elective 6 – Contracts & Grants — Pre Award Administration
- Elective 7 – Contracts & Grants — Post Award Administration
- Elective 8 – Special Project in Financial Management (project prepared outside of class)
Online Courses (all courses required)
- Basic Accounting for the UCB Financial Environment**
- Understanding the UC Berkeley Budget: Budget Concepts for Managers**
- Chart of Accounts/Systems Overview
- Managing Cash Handling/Credit Cards
- Managing Cost Transfers
- Managing Entertainment Expenditures
- Managing Non-Payroll Expenditures
- Managing Payroll Expenditures
Completion of Online 1 (Basic Accounting for the UCB Financial Environment) and Online 2 (Understanding the UC Berkeley Budget: Budget Concepts for Managers) is required prior to attending Core 6.
Information presented in the online courses is available to all UC employees through the UC Learning Center.