Text of Fiscal Close Certification Letter
The following Fiscal Close Certification Letter is used across all campuses.
To Campus Controller:
The following representations are being provided to you in connection with the University of California, (name of campus) fiscal-year-end close process and audit of the consolidated financial statements of the University of California, as of June 30, 20XX.
Except as otherwise disclosed in writing to (Campus Controller), I acknowledge my responsibility for the following representations as they relate to (School/College/Administrative Unit):
- I am responsible for the application of University policies and procedures to ensure efficient and effective use of resources and to prevent and detect fraud in the operation of (School/College/Administrative Unit).
- I am responsible for establishing and maintaining an effective system of internal controls for business practices and systems developed and used in (School/College/Administrative Unit). I am also responsible for ensuring appropriate use of control systems that are developed and maintained elsewhere but that apply to (School/College/Administrative Unit).
In addition, except as otherwise disclosed in writing to (Campus Controller), I confirm to the best of my knowledge and belief, the following representations as they relate to (School/College/Administrative Unit):
- There are no material transactions, accounts or agreements, including
the accrual of liabilities, that have not been properly recorded
in the campus accounting records.
In general, items are considered material, regardless of size, if they involve an omission or misstatement of accounting information that, in the light of surrounding circumstances, makes it probable that the judgment of a reasonable person relying on the information would have been changed or influenced by the omission or misstatement.
- Communications from regulatory agencies, donors, or other entities concerning noncompliance with laws, regulations, applicable guidelines, directives or with an appropriate standard of care have been disclosed in writing to (Campus Controller).
- All known allegations of fraud or suspected fraud, particularly with regard to management or staff with internal control responsibilities, have been disclosed to the appropriate campus official or workgroup.
- (School/College/Administrative Unit) manages its funds in compliance with laws, regulations, provisions of contract and grant agreements, and donor restrictions that apply to these funds.
(Vice Chancellor, Vice Provost, Dean)