Moving Expenses

Eligibility for Payment

The University will pay for certain moving expenses of new employees hired as Managers and Senior Professionals (MSP) or as Professionals and Support Staff (PSS). The guidelines in this section apply to the moving expenses for MSP and PSS. Different guidelines apply to Senior Management Group members; see the Senior Management Group Moving Reimbursement policy (PDF). Different guidelines also apply to academic appointees; see Academic Personnel Manual, Recruitment.

Moving expenses are defined as reasonable costs incurred by a new employee, or by a current employee who transfers to a new University location, for moving household goods and personal effects. Moving expenses also include the cost of travel to the University location for the individual and his or her immediate family.

Specific details regarding position and expense eligibility can be found in UCOP Business and Finance Bulletin G-13, Policy and Regulations Governing Moving and Relocation. Pertinent travel policy and procedures can be found in UCOP Business and Finance Bulletin G-28, Policy and Regulations Governing Travel.

Paying a Vendor for an Employee’s Moving Expenses

University payment of relocation vendors must be via a Moving Services: Household and Personal Effects Form submitted in BearBuy.

Read more about paying a vendor for relocation services.

Reimbursing an Employee for Moving Expenses

Reimbursement of employees who pay vendors directly and/or seek reimbursement for travel expenses incurred during relocation must be made in BearBuy with a Payment Request Form and the Travel Expense Voucher - U85 Form.

Read more about reimbursing employees for moving expenses.

What Moving Expenses Will Be Paid by the University?

For Managers and Senior Professionals (MSP) and Professionals and Support Staff (PSS), UC Berkeley will either reimburse the employee or pay a vendor on behalf of the employee for the expenses detailed below when such costs are deemed reasonable and necessary, have been incurred during the employee’s move, and are properly supported by original invoices and receipts.

  • The cost of packing, crating, transporting, unpacking, and uncrating the appointee’s household goods and personal effects. Such costs are limited to one household move per appointee.
  • Actual and reasonable expenses related to insurance for the household goods while in transit, if incurred within any 30-day period after removal of the household goods and effects from the former primary residence.
  • Actual and reasonable storage costs for household goods and personal effects for up to 30 days immediately after removal from the primary residence.
  • Actual and reasonable expenses related to moving two personal motor vehicles per household (which may include motorcycles but excludes the vehicles listed below). The vehicles may be shipped or driven. If the appointee decides to drive his or her personal vehicle, the appointee will be reimbursed at the mileage rate published in BFB G-28, Travel, Appendix A
  • Actual travel expenses for the individual and his or her immediate family, but not to exceed the cost of air coach transportation. If the appointee claims meal costs en route, those costs must be reimbursed in accordance with BFB G-28, Travel.
  • The cost of furnished temporary lodging for up to 30 days and meals for up to 30 days of residence in the temporary lodging if it does not have cooking facilities. Such reimbursements will be made in accordance with BFB G-28, Travel.

The following costs are not reimbursable:

  • Assembly and disassembly of unusual items such as swing sets, swimming pools, satellite dishes, hot tubs, and storage sheds.
  • Animals (except for household pets consisting of domesticated animals normally kept or permitted in a residence) or the costs associated with kenneling of pets.
  • Motorized recreational vehicles, including boats, kayaks, canoes, airplanes, camping vehicles, snow machines, and jet skis.
  • Canned, frozen, or bulk foodstuffs.
  • Building supplies, farm equipment, and firewood.
  • Plants.

Relocation Allowances

Relocation allowances are handled by the Payroll Office. For assistance with relocation allowances, please contact