PREPARE ENTERTAINMENT DOCUMENTS FOR IMAGING
Follow these guidelines to facilitate scanning of travel and entertainment documents:
Preparing Backup Documents for Expense Reports
- Tape receipts smaller than 8 ½ x 11 to a blank sheet of letter size white paper. Tape all sides, not just the top and bottom. Do not tape over information (when scanned, the information under the tape is illegible).
- Receipts larger than 8 ½ x 11 do not need to be taped to another sheet of paper.
- Do not use paper with unrelated printing on back of the page. The back will be scanned automatically, adding unnecessary and potentially confusing images to the imaging repository.
- Do not use staples.
- Do not highlight information (when scanned it will be unreadable). To emphasize specific information, underline or circle it.
- Do not attach bulky items or anything that is heavier or stiffer than normal paper such as BART tickets or telephone cards.
Obscuring or Redacting Information
Please be sure to obscure or remove any sensitive or confidential information from receipts and other documents. This can be accomplished by crossing out the information with a black permanent marker. Sensitive or confidential information includes the following:
- Social Security numbers
- Credit card numbers (except the last four digits)
- Debit card numbers (except the last four digits)
- Credit or debit card security codes
- Passwords, including access codes for financial institutions
- Bank account numbers, including numbers encoded on the bottom of checks
- Home addresses
- Unlisted telephone numbers
- Passport numbers
- Driver’s license numbers
- California Identification Card numbers (or other state Identification card number)
- Date of birth information
- Mother's maiden name