Employees working outside of California Due to COVID 19

In response to the COVID-19 Pandemic, some UC Berkeley employees are working remotely outside the state of California . The UC Office of the President and the UCPath Center have requested that you update your tax information as there may be income tax implications when working out of state. Please follow the instructions below to update your tax information. Please visit the People and Culture website for other helpful information that you may need to be aware of if you temporarily move

For detailed instructions: 

A step by step job aid (printable PDF) on how to update your tax information on the UCPath center is available. You may also review the frequently asked questions.

Employees working in another U.S. state

You will need to complete an out of state income tax withholding form. There may be tax implications depending on the state in which you are temporarily working. 

Employees working in another country or U.S. Territories

UCPath is unable to withhold taxes or report income to foreign countries, therefore, if there is a strong business need for you to work outside the United States, please consult your Berkeley Regional HR team.  Your department regional HR support team will need to consult People & Culture or the Academic Personnel Office for additional guidance.

Nonresident aliens working outside of the U.S

    • do not need a GLACIERrecord however should update their Glacier record if they begin working in the U.S. or if they were working in U.S. and then leave the country
    • complete a foreign source income statement in addition to the out of state income tax withholding form. The income earned in your home country is not subject to U.S. income tax reporting, however, it may be subject to income taxes  according to your home country’s tax laws. UCPath is unable to withhold or report income to your home country, therefore we highly recommend you familiarize yourself with the tax implications of remotely working abroad.

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien

Additional Information

If you receive paper paychecks, you may also need to update your mailing address in UCPath to ensure your check is delivered to your remote location. Address changes can be made in the Personal Information section of the UCPath Portal. Direct Deposit sign-up is also available in the Income and Taxes section of the UCPath Portal

If you should return to California or relocate to another state or country please remember to update your information accordingly. 

For questions, please email payhelp@berkeley.edu