Employees Working Outside of California


The UC Office of the President and the UCPath Center has requested employees working outside of the state of California (on a long term basis) update their tax information as there may be income tax implications when working out of state:

Please visit the People and Culture website for helpful information that you may need to be aware of if you temporarily move out of California:

Instructions on Updating Tax Information in UCPath

Please review the following job aid on how to update your tax information on the UCPath center:

You may also review the frequently asked questions:

Please contact UCPath for support:

Employees Working in Another U.S. State

Employees working in another U.S. State will need to complete an out-of-state income tax withholding form.

There may be tax implications depending on the state in which you are temporarily working.

Employees Working in Another Country or U.S. Territories

UCPath is unable to withhold taxes or report income to foreign countries, therefore, if there is a strong business need for you to work outside the United States, please consult your Berkeley Regional HR team:

Your department's regional HR support team will consult People and Culture or the Academic Personnel Office for additional guidance.

Nonresident Aliens Working Outside of the U.S.

Nonresident aliens working outside the U.S. do not need a GLACIER record. However, you should update your Glacier record if you begin working in the U.S. or if you were working in the U.S. and then had to leave the country:

Please complete a foreign source income statement in addition to the out of state income tax withholding form.

The income earned in your home country is not subject to U.S. income tax reporting. However, it may be subject to income taxes according to your home country’s tax laws. UCPath is unable to withhold or report income to your home country, therefore we highly recommend you familiarize yourself with the tax implications of remotely working abroad.

U.S. Citizens or Resident Aliens

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside. Please reference the IRS website for more information:

Please complete a foreign source income statement in addition to the out of state income tax withholding form.

UCPATH will review the forms and make the appropriate tax withholding adjustments.

UCPath Information

If you receive paper paychecks, you may also need to update your mailing address in UCPath to ensure your check is delivered to your remote location.

If you should return to California or relocate to another state or country, please remember to update your information accordingly.

Address Changes

Address changes can be made in the Personal Information section of the UCPath website.

Direct Deposit

Direct Deposit sign-up is also available in the Income and Taxes section of the UCPath website.


For questions, please email payhelp@berkeley.edu.