When a department is awarded a grant to pay salaries, but the grant will not allow payment of any benefits, can the department pay the benefits from a different fund source?

When an agency will not pay benefits, a department can charge them to a different source after the fact. The procedure for doing so is as follows:

  • Payroll should be set up and charged as usual
  • The Dept/Account/Fund/Chartfield1/Chartfield2 for benefits should be identified
  • SPO set-up documentation should indicate that benefits are to be charged to a different Dept/Account/Fund/Chartfield1/Chartfield2 and identify what that Dept/Account/Fund/Chartfield1/Chartfield2 is
  • CGA will invoice everything except the benefits